Washer dryer combos are all in one machines that will wash and dry your laundry. That means no more having to transfer wet clothes from your washer to your dryer. And since these combo units are small and portable, you can use them without hookups.
Convenience is the biggest reason to consider washer dryer combos for apartments. Because these units can replace two separate machines, they're an ideal solution for even a small apartment. The combos are also incredibly convenient for second homes and boats.
Washer dryer combos typically have one drum that does double duty, both for washing and drying. The washer can hold around 3 to 4 cubic feet of water at a time, enough for about 8 pounds of clothes.
The dryer side has a heating element and a fan-like system that blows air over the warm coils, through the drum, and out. That heated air dries your clothes, which can take up to an hour for a full load of clothing.
Because the dryer side has a heating element, you also get more wrinkle-reduction options than with standard front-load washers/dryers. Most models allow you to control the amount of heat that goes into the dry cycle.
Almost all washer dryer combos are electric. To install the unit, you will need to supply it with a power source and hook up the water supply. The good news is that most units can be set up and installed in less than an hour.
Many factors should go into consideration when buying a new washer dryer, and the most important include:
1. How much room is available?
Before shopping for appliances, take precise measurements of the space where they will be installed so you know what size to look for.
2. What features are needed?
Most washer dryer combos have the same basic features, but it's essential to look for ones that provide the options you desire. Features to consider include:
- Multiple wash cycles: Some units offer more than ten different wash cycles, while others have just a few. If possible, try out washers in a showroom before buying one to get a sense of what type of cycles you'll be using most.
- Multiple drying cycles: Many washer dryer combos have just one drying cycle, but others offer several for optimal versatility. For instance, high heat is perfect for cotton and synthetics, while low heat works well with delicates.
- Integrated controls: Look for built-in touchpad controls that are easy to use and simple displays that show the status of each cycle. While many washer dryer combos automatically determine the water level needed for a given load, some also offer manual settings that allow you to adjust how much water is being used. These are particularly useful if you need to wash bulky items like bedding.
- Energy and water efficiency: Look for washers with a high Combined Energy Factor (CEF) and Integrated Water Factor (IWF), which can help cut down energy costs.
- Quiet operation: Most models are extremely quiet when in use, but you should still check to ensure this is the case before buying one.
3. Do you want a vented or ventless washer dryer combo?
In most cases, a ventless unit is the best choice for apartments, second homes, and boats with limited space. After all, if your apartment doesn't even have hookups, it certainly won't have a venting system. However, if you have an existing venting system in place or need to use one in your new home due to low airflow, you may want to go with a vented washer dryer combo.
With a ventless washer dryer combo, the unit has built-in condensers that help recycle water and control lint by using exhaust fans to remove moisture from the unit after each cycle finishes.
Vented washer dryer combos will need to be vented to the outside via a duct or through an external wall.
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, a washer dryer combo may be perfect for you:
- Do I want a washing machine in an apartment without hookups?
- Do I need a full-featured washing machine and dryer in just a few inches of space?
- Will my washer dryer need to fit through tight spaces, around corners, or upstairs?
- Do I have limited room for a full-sized washer and dryer?
- Do I need to wash smaller items like baby clothes, blankets, or pillows?
- Can I wait longer to do a load of laundry because I prefer to use cold water?
Washer dryer combos are also an ideal solution if you're renting an apartment without hookups. They're also a great solution for smaller second homes or vacation homes.
If space is limited, you'll have to prioritize features that best support your specific laundry habits. Sorting through all of this can require some research before you make a decision. However, with a little effort and the advice above, you should be able to find washer dryer combos that will meet all of your needs.
- GE Washer and Electric Dryer Combo
- LG All-in-One Washer and Dryer
- COMFEE Portable Washing Machine
- Garatic Portable Compact Mini Twin Tub Washing Machine
- Equator 2020 24" Combo Washer Dryer
Doing laundry in your own apartment and not having to shlep to the laundromat can be a lifesaver, especially in the colder months. But not every apartment comes equipped with a washer and dryer or even the proper hookups. Luckily, you can buy a portable washer/dryer combo that will allow you to do your laundry with just an electrical outlet and access to cold water. Here is a look at the best washer/dryer combos for apartments without hookups.
1. GE Washer and Electric Dryer Combo
The best washer/dryer combo for an apartment without hookups is the GE Washer and Electric Dryer Combo. It is one of the highest quality products of its kind. It's an all-in-one washer and dryer that is both powerful and compact. It can be powered using a standard 120V plug, allowing you to store it anywhere that's convenient, including a closet or storage space. Plus, it features five wash temperature levels, five spin speed choices, and five soil level selections, so you have optimum control over your laundry preferences.
2. LG All-in-One Washer and Dryer
This compact, ventless, all-in-one washer dryer is designed to handle all of your laundry needs. It features a True-Balance anti-vibration system designed to offer smooth and quiet rotations while still providing maximum power and performance. It also has a Never Rust Stainless steel drum, backed by a lifetime warranty, so you know it's built to last. Plus, it offers smart capabilities, so you can connect to the WiFi and benefit from the latest advancements in steam technology.
3. COMFEE Portable Washing Machine
The COMFEE Portable Washing Machine is a small, lightweight washer and dryer that is ideal for those who live in small apartments. It has a capacity of about 1.6 cubic feet and can fit easily into a closet or unused corner. It offers six different wash programs and a handy spin-dry cycle which will get rid of any excess water after the wash cycle is complete. Plus, the company claims that the product is 84% more energy efficient than other portable washer/dryer combos, which is an added bonus.
4. Garatic Portable Compact Mini Twin Tub Washing Machine
The Garatic Portable Compact Mini Twin Tub Washing Machine is one of the more cost-effective portable washing machines available. It offers a unique twin tub design that allows users to save time by either washing and spin-drying two loads simultaneously or running both sides concurrently to complete a larger load. With a powerful 1300RPM motor, the Garatic is designed for maximum speed and efficiency. Plus, it features a compact, plastic body that will never rust and can fit into any space in your home. This washer/dryer combo is the perfect model for those who want a cheap and transportable product that doesn't sacrifice any power.
5. Equator 2020 24" Combo Washer Dryer
This high-tech washer-dryer combo features a color-coded LED display and push bottom controls for ease and efficiency. It also comes equipped with powerful dual fans and the ability to quickly dry laundry loads at 1200 RPM. This model has a capacity of 1.6 cubic feet and requires 110 Volts of power. But it's also one of the most potent portable washer and dryer combos on the market, and its compact design makes it easy to transport and store.
GE Washer and Electric Dryer Combo
LG All-in-One Washer and Dryer
COMFEE Portable Washing Machine
Garatic Portable Compact Mini Twin Tub Washing Machine
Equator 2020 24" Combo Washer Dryer