Having a house of your own is great, but having a home that was specially made for you is a whole ‘nother experience. That’s why so many aspiring homeowners want to build a house of their own rather than buy a house that’s already built. Obviously, building your own house isn’t going to be a walk in the park, especially financially.
How To Build A House For Cheap
If you’re going to try to build your own house, the cheapest way to do it is to make sure that you are the one to hire subcontractors. When most people hire a company to build a house for them, they are actually hiring a person to hire out subcontractors to build the house for them.
Studies show that you can save as much as 40 percent to 50 percent of your building price by just subcontracting things out yourself. However, that’s now always the easiest thing to do. Going through this route means that you have to be aware of what a house needs, as well as a keen eye for good workers.
How To Build A House Cheap And Fast
Building a house, both cheap and fast, tends to require substantial planning. Most of the time, you will need to choose a home plan that works with the tools you have as well as the timeframe you want to have—along with that, building a house for cheap means that you will need to hire out subcontractors on your own.
The simplest way to save money on building a house is to do it yourself—at least, part of it. There’s no way around it. Labor isn’t cheap, and that means that building a home isn’t always going to be affordable unless you take a hand in it.
How Much Does It Cost To Build Your Own Home?
This all depends on the supplies you get, the price of labor in your area, as well as the type of home that you choose. According to HomeAdvisor, you should expect to pay between $150,000 to $450,000 to build your own home.
Though the price tag may be high, the perks of building your own house are many. Along with getting a customized place of your own, you also get the opportunity to recoup your costs when you decide to sell your home.
Is It Possible To Build A Home For Under $50,000?
Let’s say that you want to build your own home, but you don’t necessarily have the high budget associated with traditional buildings. Most people who are looking to get a house built for under $50,000 won’t have much luck—-especially when it comes to making buildings up to code.
That said, it is possible to build a house for that price tag. However, the home you will end up with won’t be very fancy, nor will it be an easy endeavor to pursue. To make a building that’s legal to live in, you will have to cut a lot of corners regardless of where you are.
What Are The Cheapest Houses To Build?
If you choose to build your own home, you better be prepared to work with homes that are known for being affordable and easy to build. There are several types of homes that are known for being easy to build. These include:
- Tiny Homes- Tiny homes, especially those that are considered to be mobile or specialty homes, are known for being easy to build. After all, if you have a house that only has 900 square feet inside of it, it’s not going to take that long to build.
- Shipping Crate Homes- You might have seen these homes on trendy websites or in the pages of upscale magazines. Though they may be trending due to their reputation for being Earth-friendly, they are also a good pick as a result of their easy assembly.
- E-Plan Homes- Another new wave of cheap housing can be found in the e-planning world. E-plan homes are home plans that can be found online, which are designed with ease of creation in mind.
- Kit Houses- Though they aren’t as common as they once were, there are companies out there that offer up houses made in kits. House kits often come with the supplies you need to make them, including the wood. So, it can help prevent surprise costs later on down the road.
Should You Buy A Prefabricated House Kit?
Say what you will, but prefabricated houses have a huge perk when it comes to being cost-effective. In most cases, the cheapest way to build a brand new home is to get a prefabricated house kit.
The big pitfall with prefabricated houses is that you don’t have as much control over the layout of your home. So if you are a stickler for having a unique, customized place of your own, this isn’t the route that you should go.
How To Build A House Yourself (For Cheap)
Building a house for yourself means that you’re going to need to have some kind of experience and knowledge in construction. Most of us cannot (or will not) build a house from scratch on our own.
For the sake of this article, we’re going to assume that you’re still going to work with subcontractors to make your home a reality. Here’s what aspiring homeowners need to do if they want to build a house without a primary contractor’s help:
- First things first, you’re going to need to look into home plans. You simply cannot build a home without having plans first. So, start researching your ideas or buy a house kit.
- Next, you’re going to have to clear the foundation’s area. Doing this means that you’re going to have to clear away trees, plants, and rocks in the area that your home will be in. You can often do this yourself, which can help save serious bucks.
- Then, you’re going to need to hire subcontractors for each portion of the house. Subcontractors are going to be necessary for every element of your home, and each subcontractor will have his or her own specialty. You will need to hire some for the framework, the electricity, the foundation, the plumbing, the flooring, as well as the roofing.
- They will start with pouring the foundation, then will add the siding, home shell, utilities, roofing, and finally, insulation. Home construction is done in stages, and it will take a while. You will have to watch (or work with the subcontractors) as your home is constructed in stages.
- You will need to help them get permits and also watch over their work. Most areas will have zoning laws and permits that need to be gotten. In order to build your home legally, you have to get the right paperwork filed.
What Are The Cheapest Materials To Make A Home From?
If you are looking to build your own home for cheap, materials will come into play. Most of us have heard of prefabricated panels and used shipping containers as materials, but you don’t have to limit yourself to these materials if you want to build a nice home.
Some of the other common (but cheap) materials you can use to build a home include:
- Reclaimed timber
- Metal sheeting
- Traditional bricks
- Concrete paneling
It’s worth pointing out that the materials you choose may or may not work with the area that you want to move to. For example, bricks are very affordable but aren’t advisable in areas where earthquakes are prone to happen. On a similar note, metal sheeting might be cheap, but it’s prone to rusting if it’s near the sea.
Is Building A Home On Your Own A Good Idea?
It can be if you plan things correctly and make a point of hiring the right help. However, this move is still one that needs to be taken on a case-by-case basis. Only you can really tell if you are ready to build your own home.
In the long run, it can save you money and act as a good investment. But, it still can backfire if you don’t take care of the planning, hiring, and standards you want to live with.
There’s no ifs, ands, or buts, about it. If you want to build a house cheaply, you’re going to have to go with a DIY approach. Or, at the very least, you’re going to have to save on labor by subcontracting out portions of the house yourself.
When it comes to materials, going cheap is a must if you want to make sure that you get the most of your building budget. Choosing a prefabricated house can help reduce the amount of work you need to do and also get you all the materials you need to succeed. Even if you choose to save on labor, you’re still going to have to opt for a smaller house to make things work.